Monday, August 11, 2008

Torture Museum...?

Why did we go and see this? What on earth did we think would be in it? It was a short experience but one that ensured we would have neither appetites nor restful sleep for quite a while.
I have always known that humans were cruel, and I knew that the middle ages probably topped the cruelty stakes but my good God, I didn't realise just how horrendous people were to each other.

Mary tries out the grill, this was used red-hot to torture traitors!



We walked around the Torture museum, all of us felt ill and wish we'd stayed away... Thankfully they had no recreations with dummies or any waxworks, because even the pictures depicting the scenes were bad enough.



We learned something though! Apparently if one was to be interrogated for information by the government around the 12th century or so, it was a customary method to place you under a piece of wood on which heavy stones would be put. This is where the saying "to be under pressure" or "putting pressure on" comes from!!!
I was delighted to know that!

"..but, I just can't stop thinking about those poor people..."

2 comments: