Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Me no likey...

I can say now, officially, that I do not like Austria and will never go back there. Fair enough, we only got to one town, Innsbruck, on the road to Germany, a nice enough place but my my the people are meanies!




We were treated like lowlifes from the minute we set foot in the town, until we left. In one shop, while desperately trying to buy an adaptor, when we offered a credit card to pay for an overpriced basic model, the shopkeeper shut her till at the speed of light, and then said "NO CREDIT CARD - OUT OUT" to us until we scarpered. I found that very hard to take, I was almost in tears, it was so far from what I'm used to in our lovely little "apologise for everything" island!

Everywhere we went we encountered similar treatment. Asking directions and we would get shouted at, not understanding the menu and asking for help was greeted with a shake of the head and a firm but incomprehensible line in german...

But of course we managed to have fun in our own way...

Little M found amusement in the language...

Joe was introduced to his fathers favorite fare!

...and I enjoyed the buildings, even if they were adorned with 'out of place' statues every few feet! The crucifiction is such a powerful image, but it just doesn't sit right in between a chemist and a leather goods shop!


So Innsbruck, you should be nicer to your tourists, I will not be recommending your town to anyone, not even to stop over in. You can blame the Fraulein in Red Tag electrics...

First impressions last, don't they...

3 comments:

Ciara Brehony said...

Oh, so horrible to stroll into town with a let's-see-what-we-have-here-smile and an expectation of a new experience, and then BAM! Unexpected mean and nasty people. Makes you feel like a child. The unfairness of it! Especially when you know you are NICE PEOPLE! :-(

Nicole said...

Oh bummer. I just loved Austria. I thought it so quaint and beautiful. Of course that was summer of '84 and I was in high school.

AMI said...

I have a feeling that, Vienna side Austria might be a touch more welcoming!