Monday, August 11, 2008

I AMsterdam!

We arrived in Amsterdam mid afternoon, and were so relieved to see a signposts for our campsite almost immediately after we dawdled onto the ring road. Driving down a muddy track, lined with rusty clapped out bangers, I was delighted to see a large shiny sign for our site!


I judge campsites now on their signs as you drive in, as it usually reflects the site itself. Big hand painted faded signage on the wall is a bad omen, Big shiny plastic printed sign is good!



As we drove in, the place was buzzing, fantastic reception to greet us, and a great pitch for Birdy to rest her weary tyres... "Is there electricity?" was greeted "Of course but we only have gas in the lower site..." which made me jump for joy! Not one power source but TWO! Not that we can avail of it but its nice that its there!


Clean as a whistle loos and showers... Fantastic eaterie - Look at this for 4.50! There is a lovely little petting zoo beside our pitch, which is great for the kids, and helps them with the awkward friend making! I love this photo of Mary and a goat, the way the goat is looking at the camera cracks me up!

Every night there is a movie, although we had to forgoe watching "From Dusk till Dawn" after the first millisecond - Jesus Tarantino needs therapy!
But, being Amsterdam, there is the scores of people, here to partake in the "I can so I will" tourist culture that begets the city. It was interesting at first, everyone in a kind off festival mode, but then after a while, as we sat having a drink outside in the fresh evening, the tables began to fill up, and the smell of marijuana filled the air... No-one seemed to be concerned, lighting huge joints right beside our tables, and it struck me that even a chain smoker would have more courtesy where children are concerned. Saying that, even a chain smoker lighting ten cigs at once couldn't get anyone else high! The joint smokers didn't care much for the kids, and that is fair enough I suppose, so we left, the smoke thick in the air as their eyes glazed over and conversations dropped to nothing...

1 comment:

Ciara Brehony said...

Ah, Yes, I imagine it's all very different with kids in tow. Mind you, I think my own personal taste has changed somewhat over the years too!